The pattern of the coverlet is called Lover’s Knot with Pine Tree Border. The Goodwin Guild was established in Blowing Rock, NC in the early 1950s after leaving Cedar Bluff, VA. As the coverlet has a Goodwin Guild tag, it could date from as early as that move to North Carolina. The Goodwin coverlets were made with traditional pattern drafts that had been gathered from home weavers in the region, including the Lover’s Knot with Pine Tree Border, Olive Leaf, Rings and Flowers, and Whig Rose.
Goodwin Guild Coverlet
William Craig, Sr., a Decatur County weaver and farmer, wove this 1854 coverlet. He had a shop in Greensburg where the present MainSource parking lot is located. His son William Jr., a weaver also, moved from the shop back to the farm to raise “porkers” (pigs). Craig Sr.’s trademark, a pipe, is in the weaver’s block of the coverlet. People from a thirty-mile area brought their wool with them, which they had spun and dyed. They then placed orders for the $5.00 coverlets which could be woven in one day from sun-up to sunset if the loom was threaded.
Double Irish Chain Pattern. Made in the 1840s or 1850s.
Originally owned by Florine Tilson